Then known as Indiana State Teachers College, Indiana University of Pennsylvania benefited during the Great Depression from a large construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $226,000 grant for the project, whose final cost was $700,440. Construction occurred between February 1938 and June 1939. (PWA Docket No. [W]1820.)
Three buildings were constructed on the campus, including an auditorium and dining hall addition. The auditorium is now known as Fisher Auditorium. The present status of the other structures is unknown to the Living New Deal.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 36. "Public Works Administration", a Google Fusion Table by LaDale Winling, edited on March 15, 2011. http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=578234 Additional information contributed by Emily Scott in October 2015.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 29, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE