Indiana Dunes State ParkTrail to the dunes.
The CCC first arrived at the park in 1933. Quarters were soon built for 250 CCC boys. The CCC would help build “trails, bridges, camps, shelter, and more.” (http://friendofindianadunes.org/historic-page/)
The CCC also built roads, gatehouses and other facilities.
“A CCC camp was located at the site of Dunes Creek upstream from the Pavilion. The Company 556 was at Dunes for a short while before being moved to Pokagon State Park as Company 1563. Wilson Shelter is one of their projects. Other projects of theirs, such as the Group Camps, have been removed. A flag pole near the Nature Center is from the CCC.
The construction of the camp involved creating an underground path for Dunes Creek via a culvert. Following the departure of the CCC, the camp was dismantled and served as a parking lot. It is only recently that the creek was restored to its original state.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE