Huey P. Long Bridge"The Huey P. Long Bridge, just west of New Orleans, Louisiana. Photo was taken from the eastbound Amtrak Sunset Limited on November 11, 2007, as the train started over the bridge."
This bridge across the Mississippi River was started under President Hoover’s Reconstruction Finance Corporation in 1931, and completed in 1935 with PWA funds.
“Opened in December 1935 to replace the Walnut Street Ferry, the bridge was named for the extremely popular and notorious governor, Huey P. Long, who had just been assassinated on September 8 of that year. The bridge was the first Mississippi River span built in Louisiana and the 29th along the length of the river. It is a few miles upriver from the city of New Orleans.”
Leighninger Jr., Robert. "Building Louisiana: The Legacy of the Public Works Administration." (2007).
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE