In 1936 the Public Works Administration agreed to build a new hospital if all assets and operations were turned over to the city. The city was less than enthusiastic about assuming operations but reluctantly proceeded. About the same time, Dr. Simpson treated David B. Mills, a wealthy philanthropist who had been badly injured in an automobile crash. To show his gratitude Mills offered a generous gift of $20,000 to build the hospital contingent upon matching contributions from the community. Mrs. George Aycrigg chaired the fund drive that raised $22,472. Mills delivered his $20,000 and an additional $6,000 for equipment before the hospital opened.
The building has since been remodeled and added to on multiple occasions.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 14, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE