Former hospital - Lindsay CA
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a hospital for the town of Lindsay CA. The opening ceremony took place in 1941.
The hospital closed in 1990 and the city contracted its medical services to Sierra View Hospital District in Porterville.
The Lindsay Hospital District webpage explains:
“Years ago the residents wanted to provide funding for a hospital for the Lindsay area. After the District was formed, the Lindsay District Hospital was established. It was a separate business entity assisted by District funding. Over the years, as costs and overhead increased more and more, the hospital became unable to operate even with the District’s assistance. It was forced to close, but Sierra View District Hospital (Porterville) came in to operate the Hospital. After several more years, Sierra View found the same picture, and the hospital closed altogether.”
Exact location and current status of the building are unknown.
Lindsay Gazette, 1941 in "Scrapbooks of clippings related to WPA projects in Fresno, Kern, King, Madera, and Tulare Counties," gift of Mrs. David T. Holmes, Vacaville, 1962. (Scrapbook can be found in the California State Library in Sacramento).
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on August 26, 2011.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE