Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the new Cleveland Hospital, constructed 1938-1939 with assistance from Works Progress Administration funds. The new hospital could serve 32 patients, and housed nurses’ quarters and contained “the most modern equipment” (Solicit funds, p. 8). WPA allotted $3,190 in funds toward the completion cost of $55,000 sponsored by the city of Cleveland. A portion of the hospital was renovated in 1991 as part of the new Delta State School of Nursing. The remainder was demolished 1995.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, no. 011-CLE-0133.1-X. Retrieved Dec 3, 2019 from:
WPA Grants. (Mar 4, 1938). Hattiesburg American, p. 13.
Solicit Funds to Furnish New Cleveland Hospital. (May 17, 1938). The Delta Democrat-Times, p. 8.
New Cleveland Hospital. (Aug 18, 1938). The Weekly Democrat-Times, p. 2.
New Cleveland Hospital. (Aug 19, 1938). The Greenwood Commonwealth, p. 5.
DSU nursing reunion Sunday. (Jul 25, 1991). The Enterprise-Tocsin, p. 16.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 8, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE