Horace Mann School 1939Source: (https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/26119438655/), Public Domain, December 15, 1939
The Works Progress Administration built the Horace Mann School in 1939 under project number 665-66-2-48. The brick building had seven rooms and an auditorium when built.
Grades 1-12 attended there until around 1949 when grades 9-12 were bussed to Palestine High School. Grades 1-8 continued to attend there. When Neches schools integrated in 1965, Horace Mann was vacated and all students, white and black, attended Clemmons (a previous all black school).
Around 1980, the building was reopened for grades K-5. A new elementary/junior high school was built in 2009, and the Horace Mann School building was demolished in 2011. A paved parking lot is now where the school once stood.
Note cards on historical photographs from the National Archives and Records Administration digitized by the Historic Sites and Structures Program, Texas State Parks (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department):
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/25846596750/), accessed April 5, 2018.
Johnnie Faucett via the East Texas Genealogical Society.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on April 5, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE