The New York Times reported that WPA laborers had begun work in late 1941 on a playground consisting of “two and one-third acres … The facilities will include a brick comfort station, concrete wading pool, irrigated sandpit and mothers’ sitting area, swings, slides, handball court, pipe-frame exercising unit, and areas for skating, basketball and softball.”
The completion of the project was announced in June 1942.
"WPA to Build One in Manhattan and Two in Brooklyn"; The New York Times, October 2, 1941. Department of Parks, Press Release, June 5, 1942
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE