The [then-]North Texas State College’s Home Management House was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. provided $11,250 for the construction of the building, which was located at the northeast corner of what are now S. Welch St. and W. Chestnut St. The building has since been demolished.
“Home Management House was a two story, brick veneer duplex that faced west on Avenue A with West Chestnut Street on the south. The building was erected in 1938 and 1939 with PWA funding for about 45% of the cost of construction. The house served as the living quarters Home Economics majors. Seven women lived in each half of the house with the supervisor having her own quarters each long semester.”
"Building the New Deal: Federal Construction on College Campuses in 1930s Texas," by Kaitlyn Waynen http://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2015/08/17/public-works-administration-buildings-on-campus/ http://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2016/07/11/early-dorms/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 10, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE