Hollywood Bowl WPA Fountain
George Stanley created this large sculpture “Muse of Music, Dance, Drama” for the Hollywood Bowl in 1938-1940, with funding from the WPA.
“The monument was constructed from 1938 to 1940, as part of the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP). It was the largest of hundreds of WPA sculpture projects created in Southern California. It was described at the time as “an engineering feat…the entire hillside of this famous shrine made into a monument, in which are eleven hundred and eighty-eight tons of concrete, the forms of which are delineated by slabs of the same granite to the amount of two hundred and forty-five tons.” (Art for the millions, ISBN 0-8212-0659-1) The granite blocks were originally lightly polished. They were quarried near Victorville, CA.
The monument is composed of a multi-tiered concrete structure faced with granite blocks. A complex fountain system circulates water to pools at various levels of the monument. Granite sculptures depicting the three muses: Music, Dance, and Drama are mounted on the monument. The central figure of Music, 15′ in height, is depicted in a kneeling position playing a harp. Dance and Drama, each 10′ in height, are depicted as standing figures, located in niches along the sides of the monument. There is an entrance to the fountain pump and electrical system on the top tier, adjacent to the figure of Music.
The monument was altered in recent years. Modern tiles and lighting were installed. It is not known whether these additions are in keeping with the original plan for the monument.” (http://www.publicartinla.com)