A 1985 Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory of WPA buildings describes a 1938 school in Hitchita, Oklahoma. The survey describes the school in detail:
“This school of twelve rooms is a single-story, rectangular (145′ x 58′) structure constructed of uncut native stone of auburn and buff colors. The building’s base, however, is made of cut, coursed and rusticated native stone of buff color. All doors are recessed behind archways. There is a horizontal frieze dividing the two types of stone. The sashed windows contain wood inserts painted brown. A gymnasium is attached to the south side of the school. These alterations do not impeach the integrity of the structure.”
The building located at these coordinates appears to match this description, but confirmation is needed.
Oklahoma Historical Society, WPA Region Reports.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE