Hillsborough River State Park Suspension Bridge
“Opened in 1938, Hillsborough River State Park is one of Florida’s first state parks; this original CCC Park is divided by the swiftly flowing Hillsborough River with a set of Class II rapids. The river provides opportunities for fishing, canoeing, and kayaking…” (www.floridastateparks.org)
“Land acquisition for Hillsborough River State Park began in 1934, and the park officially became part of the Florida state park system in 1935. The CCC began work at Hillsborough River State Park in 1934, when Company 1418 was transferred from Sebring to the small community of Sulphur Springs, northeast of Tampa. CCC Camp SP-71 served primarily as a forestry unit, erecting fire towers, planting seedlings and constructing fire lanes throughout Hillsborough County. In 1934, a detachment of 60 CCC enrollees was sent from the camp to develop Hillsborough River State Park, under the supervision of the National Park Service. The state park was largely complete by July 1938, when Camp SP-71 at Sulphur Springs was evacuated. The caretaker’s cottage, support buildings and the fire tower at Hillsborough River State Park were constructed between 1934 and 1936. Most of the park’s recreational facilities (including five overnight cabins that were subsequently removed) were constructed between 1935 and 1938. Additional wood frame and native stone residences were constructed between 1939 and 1941 from NPS plans, probably by the Florida Park Service or its contractors.” (www.dep.state.fl.us)
Pictured here is a CCC built wire suspension footbridge over the Hillsborough river (constructed in 1936).
http://www.bridgemeister.com/results.php?strm=river&pp=100&sf=701 http://www.floridastateparks.org/hillsboroughriver/ Hillsborough River State Park, Unit Management Plan (December 2004)
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on March 24, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE