Highland Park shelter house
During the 1930s, with the help of Works Progress Administration funds and labor, the Seattle Park Department made significant improvements to Highland Park Playground. The largest of these improvement projects was the construction of a one-story brick shelter house in 1938. Located in the southeast section of the playground, the structure was a duplicate of the one built the same year at Seattle’s Van Asselt Playground. The northern half of the building housed a large recreation room and the southern half contained restrooms. A plaque on the east side of the shelter house reads: “Built by Works Progress Administration 1938-1939.”
"Highland Park Playground." Seattle Parks and Recreation. Accessed August 29, 2016. Seattle Board of Park Commissioners. Annual Reports. Seattle, WA: Seattle Board of Park Commissioners, 1939. "Summary for 1100 SW Cloverdale ST SW / Parcel ID 7972602330 / Inv # DPR036." Seattle Department of Neighborhoods. Accessed August 29, 2016.
Project originally submitted by Scott Newman on September 13, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE