Located across the Harlem River from the larger Highbridge Park in Manhattan (also developed by the WPA), this small park located at the east end of the High Bridge, was built by the WPA in 1940. A Parks Department press release from April of that year explains:
“It has been developed as a sitting park with numerous benches and landscaped with shade trees. There is also a sand pit in which small children may dig and play.
The design was prepared by the Park Department and the work performed by the Works Progress Administration.” (http://kermitproject.org)
http://kermitproject.org/newdeal/pdf/1940a.html#1940/04/27 http://kermitproject.org/newdeal/projects.html http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/highbridge-park_bronx
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on June 7, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE