The Booneville High School was damaged by the Tupelo tornado in 1936 and subsequently demolished. Stevens & Johnson designed a new building to be constructed on the old site on Fourth Street. R. B. Wall, Mississippi WPA deputy administrator announced the new Booneville High School building was the 118th WPA school construction project. The new $90,000 buff-colored brick building was dedicated in September 1938. The building was sold in 1993 following the construction of a new high school, and is used as a senior care facility.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved Nov. 27, 2019 from:
WPA completes its 118th school building. (Sept 5, 1938). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1.
New Booneville school opened. (Sept. 8, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 15.
Cartwright, L. (1997). Old BHS History. Retrieved Nov. 26, 2019 from:
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 27, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE