Jackson High School
This building was designed by architectural firm Bonsack and Pearce and constructed by the Public Works Administration for the Jackson Grade School in 1939. Although it is not apparent from the outside, the addition that was initially built for the grade school has been seamlessly absorbed by the adjacent and expanding Jackson High School.
While the building has been updated with lighting and projection capabilities, it retains many original elements. The original exterior is visible on the north side of the addition. The original features of the auditorium and the wall tile in the adjacent surrounding halls have been retained. The seats in the auditorium are original, but recovered. The entry and ticket booth are original with oval shaped recessed lighting in the ceiling. Inset plaques at the top of the side walls and above the stage have been refurbished and are in excellent condition.
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on September 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE