The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to improve what is now the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s High Plains Grasslands Research Station (then Cheyenne Horticultural Field Station), located northwest of Cheyenne, Wyoming.
“1935 – Many inprovements were made to the station; the main road was oiled from the entrance to the buildings.
Civilian Conservation Corps camp of 200 men opened on station. They constructed roads, 2 miles of concrete lined ditches, irrigation system, planted thousands of trees and shrubs. They picked up hundreds of tons of stones from the experimental plots. And manure collected from nearby ranches was hauled in and spread over a 100 acres.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 18, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE