C. Melvin Sharpe Health School today
According to Work: A Journal of Progress, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook renovations of the district’s school facilities complex at 13th and Allison Streets, NW. The purpose was to create a “children’s health camp” as part of a campaign to aggressively treat tuberculosis: “The camp occupied buildings of the health school plant with the permission of the Board of Education. WPA labor was assigned to put the buildings in shape.”
It is possible the building that was renovated is the current Dorothy Height Elementary School on Allison at Thirteenth Street, but several buildings in the complex are postwar in appearance and may have replaced the older camp buildings. The C. Melvin Sharpe Health School, now closed, may also have been the legatee of the earlier camp.
District of Columbia Works Progress Administration, “Crusade Against Tuberculosis Now Carried To Its Source,” Work: A Journal of Progress, Vol. 1, No. 2, Oct. 1936, p. 38
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on June 13, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE