Hawthorn Glen is a park and nature and education center administered by the Milwaukee Public Schools recreation division. The twenty-three acre site includes a long curving bluff, ravines, and a deciduous forest, as well as a soccer field, several nature trails with interpretive signs, and a small “nature museum” with limited hours. Potawatomi and the Menomonee Indians lived on the site before European settlement, and part of the park was a gravel pit at the turn of the twentieth century.
The WPA constructed the building that now houses the nature museum, as well as a small stone amphitheater and a picnic area. The cornerstone of the amphitheater indicates it was a WPA project completed in 1937.
“Hawthorn Glen”, Wisconsin Parks Exploration Project, Accessed October 29, 2016. “Windows in Wauwatosa, 2016,” Accessed October 29, 2016.
Project originally submitted by James Marten on January 22, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE