The former Hattiesburg High School gymnasium was constructed 1936-1937 on Forrest Street. The two-story brick building in an Art Deco style was designed by architect Juan G. Landry, with construction superintendent Ed Carley and Oden and Glenn local contractors. Construction began the first week in April 1936 for the $30,000 building. It was 176’5″ by 117’4″, with two practice courts and one exhibition court. Bleachers accommodated 1500, and when converted to an auditorium, held 3500. In addition to stage, dressing rooms, locker rooms, it also contained a lobby with ticket office and refreshment stand. It featured large main doors and two auxiliary front entrances on each side and four side doors. In August, exterior wall bricking was completed and the asphalt roofing laid. The remaining exterior work was the installation of the stone slab pilasters at the front of the building. It remains in use.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, Hattiesburg. Retrieved August 29, 2020 from:
Archer, R. W. (March 30, 2012). Hub City Boundary Increase No. 2 nomination form. National Register of Historic Places. United States Department of the Interior National park Service.
Inspect Gym Work Tuesday. (April 11, 1936). Hattiesburg American, p. 10.
New Gym Work Advances. (May 16, 1936). Hattiesburg American, p. 10.
High School Gymnasium Construction Work Progresses. (July 28, 1936). Hattiesburg American, p. 1.
Gymnasium Work Continues; WPA Crews Busy. (Aug 8, 1936). Hattiesburg American, p. 8.
Roof New Gymnasium. (Aug 21, 1936). Hattiesburg American, p. 1.
Sketch of New High School Gymnasium. (July 28, 1936). Hattiesburg American, p. 1.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on May 30, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
Landry’s Art Deco Hawkins High Scool Gym was destroyed by arson circa 2021
The other Landry WPA 1937 building in that bloc is occupied by Allen B. Carter Post # 24 American Legion. In 1941, Camp Shelby took over when federal funding ceased. It too had a bandstand and maroon color theater stage curtains. A canteen provided food. Dances and social activities took place with Camp Shelby soldiers. As a side note, precious California Redwood lumber was used in its construction.