Hartselle CCC Camp Co. 3403 BS-1Hartselle CCC Camp Co. 3403 BS-1
“According to the CCC Camp Directory for Alabama, Camp TVA-9 operated during the fifth period, which began October 1, 1935, as a soil conservation project supervised by the Forest Service. It was reopened on October 1, 1939, designated as Camp BS-1 during the fourteenth period, working on a biological survey project at the Wheeler Pool Migratory Waterfowl Refuge. The NACCCA database shows Company 3403 establishing Camp BS-1 at Hartselle, Alabama, on October 1, 1939. On October 19, the Decatur Daily reported that the Hartselle CCC camp had reopened with the arrival of 99 men, three administrative personnel, and eight technical personnel from North Carolina. Another 100 men had arrived from Wilson Dam, and 15 more were expected. The work project, under the supervision of the Biological Survey, Department of the Interior, consisted of the development of a 41,000 acre migratory waterfowl refuge in Morgan, Lawrence, and Limestone counties. Because the camp had been abandoned for four years, camp improvements were the first priority.
According to the CCC Camp Directory for Alabama, Camp BS-1 was designated Camp FWS-1 on October 1, 1940 (about the time the Biological Survey changed to the Fish and Wildlife Service) and operated until the end of the eighteeth period.”
“The Hartselle CCC camp had established a side camp at Athens, where they were working at the Elk River Fish Hatchery. It was anticipated that once the CCC enrollees finished the roadside signs and entrance gate, public visitation to the refuge would increase. Local fishermen were already aware of the excellent fishing, and most were strong supporters of the wild life program.”
“The annual “Narrative Report” for 1941 reported that the Hartselle CCC camp, Alabama FWS-1, had completed a successful year. The enrollees had completed constuction of the manager’s residence, service building, office-museum-laboratory building, and equipment building. The entrance gateway and fence, the pasture, and the boathouse were nearly completed by the end of June. Work had begun on the garage-service building, the cistern, and the _____man’s residence at Triana. Road improvements with concrete ________ bridges were made. Between January 15 and March 15, another 619,440 trees and shrubs had been planted on the refuge by the Hartselle and other TVA camps.”
The Civilian Conservation Corps in Alabama, 1933-1942 A Great and Lasting Good by Robert Pasquill, Jr.
Assistance in location of various local New Deal projects provided by David Burleson, VP of Bank Independent.
Photographs provided by Lee Greene.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on September 2, 2018.