A. Harry Moore SchoolView of the A. Harry Moore School, ca. 1940. The WPA-built addition is at the left side of the image.
The Jersey City Independent reported in 2009 that the A. Harry Moore School was “one of the first public schools in the country built for students with disabilities.”
While the school was constructed between 1930 and 1931, the New Deal played a large part in the school’s expansion during the late 1930s. The newspaper continues:
“The addition — with a natatorium [swimming pool], treatment rooms and solarium — was built in 1939 with WPA funds.”
The school is still in use today.
https://www.jerseycityindependent.com/2009/03/06/the-new-deals-lasting-legacy-in-jersey-city/ "The A. Harry Moore School," published by the Board of Education, Jersey City, NJ; 1943. Found at the Jersey City Public Library's New Jersey Room.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 8, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE