The camp for Harrison Experimental Forest research was constructed between 1935-1938 in Harrison County. The forestry research complex contained Rustic Style dwellings and offices, including laboratories, two residences–one of which was designed by New Orleans architect Gerhardt Kramer in 1938, cone shed, two garages, equipment shop, machine shop, and warehouse. The cone shed was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, but the remaining buildings are extant and in use. There were two Civilian Conservation Corps camps in the Saucier vicinity. Camps F-10 and F-12 provided the labor for construction, building of roads and bridges to the research complex, and participated in some of the research projects.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved Jan 4, 2020 from:
Mississippi C.C.C. Boys Send Million to Home. (Apr 10, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 3.
Harrell, J. N. (Sep 25, 1936). Enrollees Develop. Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 2.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 4, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE