Harrison Ave. Bridge, South Lagoon Elevation
Constructed in 1939, the Harrison Avenue Bridge spans a lagoon developed by the WPA.
The bridge is a single-span, reinforced concrete, closed-spandrel arch design. Approach spans, flanked by heavy parapet railing, lead up to the crossing. In elevation, the low, elliptical arch is highlighted by the recessed extrados and the oversized fluted abutments. A stylized WPA logo is stamped in counter relief on the northeast end post.
As part of a massive $12-million project to improve and expand New Orleans’s City Park, the WPA built nine concrete vehicular bridges between 1936 and 1939.
City Park New Orleans, “New Orleans City Park WPA Bridges Available for Naming and Sponsorship.” Unpublished document, August 2011. New Orleans Public Library, WPA Photograph Collection.
Project originally submitted by John Murphey on January 12, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE