Harris High School for African Americans was completed in 1938 with PWA funding that also constructed the Meridian High School, gymnasium, and vocational buildings. Harris High School was smaller and less elaborate than Meridian High School, and contained no additional buildings. The site is now occupied by T.J. Harris Upper Elementary School, and while some 1950s buildings remain, all of the PWA buildings have been demolished.
Baughn, J., & Gatlin, W. M. (2013). Nomination form for Meridian High School, National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. United States Department of the Interior, section 8, pg. 17. T. J. Harris Senior High School. Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory database. Mississippi Report No. 5. Status of Completed non-Federal allotted projects. January 3, 1940, p. 105.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 13, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE