The National Youth Administration provided labor to beautify the park for African Americans in Belton in 1938. They constructed a native rock speaker stand and four picnic tables with benches. Twenty-three youth, including both White and African American, were employed on the work. The entrance gate was also made of natural rock, and a the park was surround by a low fence. Five natural rock flower beds were constructed. The speakers stand held a plaque indicating construction by the NYA.
The park is located between N. Smith and N. Alexander streets north of the Harris Community Center (former school).
Construction on Negro Park Now a Finished Job. (Feb. 16, 1939). Belton Journal, p. 1.
Improvements are Being Made on City Parks. (Dec. 29, 1938). Belton Journal, p. 1.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on May 24, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE