Harris Beach State ParkThis picnic area was developed by the CCC.
Harris Beach State Park was one of 45 state parks improved through the work of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees during the New Deal era. The CCC improvements took place there in 1934 and 1935.
Only a seventeen-acre park at the time, the CCC workers undertook the early development of the grounds, providing picnic stoves and tables as well as services necessary for day use. While aspects of the park required replacement and reconfiguration as the acreage grew, the park became available to the public thanks to the CCC.
Armstrong, Chester H. (1965) History of the Oregon State Parks, 1917-1963. Salem: Oregon State Park Publication, p. 24.
Harris Beach State Recreation Area, Oregon State Parks website (Viewed April 7, 2022): https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=park.profile&parkId=58
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 2, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE