“AT THE [Valley Green] park’s entrance is a 20-acre tract known as HARPER MEADOW, which was filled in and landscaped by WPA under sponsorship of the Friends of the Wissahickon, to serve as a picnic ground and a recreation spot. The plot which is named in honor of William Warner Harper, of Andorra, “a lover of nature in all its forms,” was formally dedicated in the spring of 1937.”
"Philadelphia, a guide to the nation's birthplace," Federal Writers' Project (page 615).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 2, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE