Harmony Borax Works - Death Valley National Park CA
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was present in Death Valley National Monument from 1933 to 1942. The main CCC camp was at Cow Creek, just north of the park headquarters and visitors’ center at Furnace Creek.
Among the many projects undertaken in the park by the CCC shoring up the remains of the Harmony Borax Works and nearby worker housing (of which little remained). The Harmony Works processed borax scraped off the playas and then taken by 20-mule teams to the railhead at Mojave CA. The company was owned by San Francisco’s William Coleman and closed at the time of his financial collapse in 1888.
The CCC did stabilization work on the crumbling adobe walls and even manufactured adobe bricks on site. Further restoration work has undoubtedly been done since the 1930s. The Harmony Works is on the National Register of Historic Places and is California Historical Landmarks #773.
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on January 31, 2019.
Additional contributions by Joan Greer.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE