“The Harbor Construction and Maintenance Yard at Berth 161 has been at its current location at the corner of Pier A Street and Fries Avenue since 1920. In this year, several buildings were moved from an unknown location to the new yard. Then in January 1936 a fire at the yard destroyed a two-story machine shop building. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided the funding to construct new testing laboratory facilities and the consolidated machine shops. These buildings were completed in the fall of 1937. Two years later the PWA funded the construction of a new blacksmith and welding shop and the Harbor Department Purchasing Agent’s office within the Harbor Construction and Maintenance Yard. The 1939 Port Annual Report for that year states: ‘These buildings have been treated, architecturally, to harmonize with other structures in the Supply Yard.’
“At least four buildings in the Construction and Maintenance Yard were constructed with PWA funding including the Blacksmith and Welding Shop. Harbor Department Engineers designed the buildings and each was “treated, architecturally, to harmonize with other structures in the Supply Yard.” The Blacksmith and Welding Shop has been covered with modern stucco, but the doors, windows, hardware, and character-defining Stripped Classicism-style features are still present. The building is a good example of the Stripped Classicism style and is unique compared with other buildings at the Port. The PWA Blacksmith and Welding Shop embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, region, or method of construction and appears to be individually significant under NRHP Criterion C. As the Blacksmith and Welding Shop retains good integrity of location, design, setting, workmanship, feeling, association, and most of its materials, it appears to be individually eligible for the NRHP under Criteria C.”
Historic Resources Evaluation Report for the Port of Los Angeles Master Plan Update ADP No. 110518-060 Aubrie Morlet, Randy Baloian, Josh Smallwood, and M. Colleen Hamilton
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on March 1, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE