Hanging Rock State Park was developed as a federal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project during the 1930s.
“Many facilities in the park were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1935 and 1942. A concrete and earthen dam completed in 1938 impounded a 12-acre lake, and a stone bathhouse, diving tower and sandy beach also were built. Other facilities constructed by the CCC include a park road and parking area, a picnic area and shelter, and hiking trails. In 1991, the bathhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places.”
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) is also cited in some sources as having contributed labor to the park’s development, though Living New Deal cannot confirm this.
http://www.ncparks.gov/hanging-rock-state-park http://www.ncparks.gov/hanging-rock-state-park/history http://books.google.com/books?id=stPkhIXP4y8C&pg=PA106
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 3, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE