The old county jail was demolished in 1937 and a new jail constructed by the WPA. Steel equipment from the old jail was reused. The new jail was closer to the court building, built at the rear of the courthouse with a “closed bridgelike connection” (Daily Herald, 1937, p. 2) to give passage between jail and court. Architect was Vinson B. Smith, Jr. and the project employed 40 men. County furnished $6,000 of material in-kind and WPA provided $18,384. The facility was completed in 1938.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Biloxi Daily Herald. (June 1, 1937). P. 2
Hancock County's New Jail. (Aug. 19, 1938). The Greenwood Commonwealth, p. 5.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History. Historic Resources Inventory No. 045-BSL-0450.2-NRD-ML. Retrieved 12/02/2019 from:
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 8, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE