Hamilton Metz Field Comfort Station
In April 1942, the WPA and the Department of Parks completed the reconstruction of Hamilton Metz Field in Brooklyn. After removing an existing football field and other facilities, the WPA constructed extensive new facilities:
“The area has been completely enclosed by chain link fence, a portion of which, along the north and south property lines, is set on new concrete retaining walls. These structures have permitted the grading and paving of level play surfaces. Two gate controlled entrance stairways from Lefferts Avenue will provide access to the one and one quarter acre grass surfaced athletic field, at the west end of the property. A new five-tier concrete bleacher extending along the north boundary of the field will also serve to retain the south sidewalk along Lefferts Avenue which is 3 to 5 feet above the athletic field…”
The new playground included benches, trees, slides, swings, two handball courts and a basketball court. The release further noted that “Plans have been completed for a field house and comfort station to be built in the future between the athletic field and playground.”
The field and playground are still in use.
Department of Parks, Press Release, April 1, 1942 NYC Parks - Hamilton Metz Field New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 27, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE