William A. Faust II, 1997 HAER MISS, 75-VICK, 6c--4Halls Ferry Bridge, view of abutment and underside of bridge, looking NE. - Vicksburg National Military Park Roads & Bridges, Halls Ferry Bridge, Spanning Halls Ferry Road at Confederate Avenue, Vicksburg, Warren County, MS
The Confederate Avenue arch span bridge over Halls Ferry Road was constructed in cooperation with the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Public Works Administration in 1936-1937. It is a single arch constructed of reinforced concrete, and is faced with brick, and is the only extant bridge of its type in Mississippi. The contract for $44,641 was awarded to Coggin and Deermont of Chipley, Florida. Excavation work began in August 1936 for the planned 125′ by 45′ bridge. The final inspection was made in September 1937.
Halls Ferry Bridge. (1997). Historic American Engineering Record, HAER No. MS-14-C. National Park Service, Department of the Interior. Retrieved from http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ms0324/ March 31, 2018.
Faust, William A., II. (1997). Historic American Engineering Record. Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on March 31, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE