Half Dome Climbing Cables"C.C.C. boys drilling holes for new pipe posts for the Half Dome Cable. Note the safety rope which would prevent them from falling if they should slip." - Conservation Corps State Museum Photo Archives
The Half Dome cables, originally installed in 1920 by the Sierra Club, were replaced and strengthened by CCC workers. These cables allow thousands of people each year to hike to the top of this famous peak.
"The Half Dome Cables Route hike runs from the valley floor to the top of the dome in 8.2 mi (13 km) (via the Mist Trail), with 4,800 ft (1,460 m) of elevation gain…The final 400 ft (120 m) ascent is steeply up the rock between two steel cables used as handholds. The cables are fixed with bolts in the rock and raised onto a series of metal poles in late May (the poles do not anchor the cables). The cables are taken down from the poles for the winter in early October, but they are still fixed to the rock surface and can be used." – Wikipedia