Old Jourdanton School Gymnasium WPA Plaque and Cornerstone
In 1911, the Texas legislature approved the creation of a school district for Jourdanton after citizens appealed for assistance. A high school and football field were built after a bond election passed. In 1938, with assistance from the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a gymnasium was constructed to serve the growing community.
At some point, the gym was destroyed. The gym’s cornerstone and WPA plaque have been preserved in a brick enclosure on the school grounds.
Phelps & Dewees & Simmons designed many structures in the San Antonio area, including Alamo Stadium another New Deal project previously submitted.
Texas Historical Commission Marker WPA plaque and gym cornerstone
Project originally submitted by Elizabeth Hilburn on May 22, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE