The gymnasium was constructed 1938-1939 as Public Works Administration project W1232. Architect E. L. Malvaney designed the gymnasium with a seating capacity of 1000, offices for athletic officials, dressing rooms, and a band hall on the second floor. It was converted to use as the Girls’ gymnasium when a new one was constructed 1946 for boys. A grant of $16,930 was provided toward the total cost of $37,827. The project was approved 6/22/38, started 9/33/38, and completed 4/17/39. The building was demolished July 2019.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, Cleveland. Retrieved August 19, 2020 from:
Report No. 5 Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 105.
Cleveland's New Gym Near Finish. (Jan 12, 1939). Clarion-Ledger, p. 5.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on August 25, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE