The Art Deco structure was completed in summer of 1936 and opened for the school year Sep. 7, 1936. The opening program was held in the newly completed building. “With its additional school rooms as well as its splendid gymnasium and auditorium, it will add much to the efficiency with which the school program can be carried on this year and the years to come” (Carson School slates opening, 1936, p. 9). The gymnasium was PWA project W1013, approved 9/25/1935. Construction started 12/26/1935, and completed 7/8/1936 for a total cost of $27,235. Fire destroyed the unused structure in March 2019.
Report No. 5, Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p.104.Clarion-Ledger, Oct. 27, 1935, p. 9.
Clarion-Ledger, Sep. 3, 1936, p. 9. “Carson school slates opening.”
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on April 13, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE