Description[Selectman Trustee] “Ernest [Rand] was… instrumental in the building of Gyger Gym at Greely. He and Herman Sweetser made a study in 1937 of the Federal Public Works Administration program, with the idea of financing a gymnasium for the school. In spite of considerable opposition, they persisted, and were able to continue. PWA Project No. 1097F was accepted in 1938 at a special Town Meeting. With the Town having to pay only half the cost, work started in October. The name was originally going to be Cumberland Gymnasium, but upon the unexpected death of School Superintendent, John Thomas Gyger, one week before the dedication of the gym, it was decided to rename it in his honor. The dedication took place on June 9, 1939.”
MAY 2012 VOLUME 89 Cumberland Historical Society
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on March 2, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE