Local WPA workers used hand crow bars to dig stones from North Cadron Creek to build the gym in 1938. They hauled stone in horse-drawn wagons, and used scaffolds and chains to move them into place (Arkansas Historic Preservation Program). The gym was still in use by the Guy-Perkins School District as late as 1992.
Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. Guy High School Gymnasium. Retrieved from arkansaspreservation.com. Christ, M. K., & Slater, C. H. (2000). Sentinels of History: Reflections on Arkansas Properties in the National Register of Historic Places. Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 22, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE