“The Griffithville School, built by the Works Progress Administration in 1939, employs Craftsman features and has a construction method and design that is characteristic of the federally funded institutional buildings from the late 1930s. The building, located along a state highway in Grifftthville, [as of 1992] is still used as a school, is in good condition, and has undergone very little alteration within the last fifty years.” (National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form)
As of 2015, the gymnasium has been used as a community center and a park is on the grounds of the original school. The extant buildings are in disrepair.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 17, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE