The Astronomer’s Monument at the Griffith Observatory was constructed in 1934 by the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP). “Using a design by local artist Archibald Garner and materials donated by the Womens’ Auxiliary of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, Garner and five other artists sculpted and cast the concrete monument and figures. Each artist was responsible for sculpting one astronomer [Hipparchus, Copernicus, Galilei, Kepler, Newton, and Herschel]; one of the artists, George Stanley, was also the creator of the famous ‘Oscar’ statuette….On November 25, 1934 (about six months prior to the opening of the Observatory), a celebration took place to mark completion of the Astronomers Monument, which had proven to be the most ambitious creation of the PWAP. The only ‘signature’ on the Astronomers Monument is ‘PWAP 1934’ referring to the federal agency which funded the project and the year it was completed.”
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere & Mark Pine on July 14, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE