The Gregory School
“This 1939 WPA constructed school is located on county road E590, northwest of Inola. The Gregory area is a 3-square mile area considered a Census-designated place, and not an official town. The school appears to be in good condition, and occupied, but it does not appear to be used as a school at this time. The playground equipment in the yard is quite old and in disrepair.
“This is a rectangular building with a gabled composition shingled roof. It is constructed of cut, coursed and rusticated native stone. The ribbon windows are set in groups of three. The centered entrance has five concrete steps leading to a double-door entrance with a three-row arched stone surround. The entrance is located on a slight projection and has a gabled pediment above and a seal reading ‘School Dist. No. 23’ Above the doors is a transom and a large multi-paned fanlight.
“The property is surrounded by a chain link fence, but we approached the building and found a bronze WPA shield with the date 1939.”
Project originally submitted by Sharon Thompson on April 28, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE