The Greenwood high school for African American students was located in what was known as the Stone Street School complex. The building finishes included both marblework and mosaic (MDAH). The architect of record was Robert James Moor. Moor received the Public Works Administration (PWA) work order on February 1, 1936 and work began on February 10th. Construction was executed by J. R. Flint Construction and J. D. Lanham received the contract for plumbing, heating, and wiring. The project was funded by a PWA grant following fire damage to the former high school building, which burned in 1934. The project included an auditorium and gymnasium in addition to classrooms. The high school building sustained fire damage in 1998.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, Greenwood. Retrieved November 5, 2017 fromhttps://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?id=37524&view=facts&y=1200
"Work Projects Given Approval for Greenwood." ( June 27, 1935). Greenwood Commonwealth, p. 1.
"Contract Let for Colored High School." ( December 3, 1935). Greenwood Commonwealth, p. 1.
"Colored School Work Will Begin." (February 1, 1936). Greenwood Commonwealth, p. 1
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 8, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE