“The Greenwood Gymnasium is a load-bearing stone masonry building located at 300 E. Gary Street, near downtown Greenwood, Arkansas. It was built in 1938-39 by 100 workers employed and/or directed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) . This durable structure rests on a combination of concrete and native sandstone foundations. The building’s dimensions are 108 feet long by 85 feet wide, encompassing two classrooms, lobby, gymnasium with basketball court, stage, bleachers and toilet / shower rooms each for boys and girls beneath the bleachers.” (National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 17, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE