On May 25, 1942 the Parks Department announced the completion of a major reconstruction of the Gravesend Park Playground in Brooklyn. After removing much outdated equipment, the WPA constructed significant new facilities:
“The new development permits greater utilization of space by segregation of smaller compact use areas equipped with increased facilities.
A central tree shaded bench lined mall extends from the main park gate to the existing comfort station which has been given a new setting of block paving, trees and a flagpole. On both sides of the mall two main fence enclosed sections, approximately 1 acre each, are subdivided into various use areas. Alternate benches and trees are spaced in a 5 foot block paved border extending along the inside of the fence enclosure.
The following items are contained in these units:
Combination roller and ice skating rink
5 shuffleboard and 2 handball courts
Wading pool with sanitary foot bath
1 pipe frame exercise unit
2 play slides
Horizontal ladder, horizontal bars and parallel bars
Combination irrigated sand pit and sitting area
3 kindergarten seesaws
2 kindergarten slides
Two softball diamonds with hooded backstops have been provided in an adjacent 2-acre asphalt surfaced enclosure with entrances from the comfort station plaza. The tennis courts remain within the same enclosure but have been resurfaced.
The work was performed by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.”
The park has been further renovated since and is still in active use.
Department of Parks, Press Release, May 25, 1942 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 NYC Parks - Gravesend Park
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 18, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE