This modest stone schoolhouse was built by the WPA in 1938. It is still in use, although a 1985 Oklahoma Landmarks Survey of the site reveals that by then it had already been altered with extensions:
“Originally a four-room school house, the Grand View building is rectangular and constructed of uncut and uncoursed native stone laid in a random rubble pattern. Window jambs and corners have been squared with poured concrete. The roof is hipped with two interior chimneys; a small intersecting hipped roof extends as a cover to an enclosed entryway on the east front. Window openings extend to the eaves and contain wood sash windows arranged by sixes. Cinder block extensions to the building are attached to either end; alterations that negatively impact the integrity of the structure.”
Oklahoma Historical Society, WPA Region Reports.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE