CCC rock wall along Rim Trail - Grand Canyon Village AZ
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was extremely active in Grand Canyon National Park throughout the New Deal. The CCC enrollees worked under the direction of the National Park Service (NPS) and some of the projects were funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA).
The first CCC camp was established on the South Rim, where Company 819 started working on improvements to the facilities around Grand Canyon Village, the main visitor center for the park, c. 1933-1937.
The CCC enrollees built a stone wall along the Rim Trail, the Kolb Studio stairs, the Community Building, rock pillars on Navajo Street, and various paths, culverts, curbs and wall, as well as landscaping the entire Grand Canyon Village area (see linked pages for specific projects). Most of this work survives, despite the vast expansion of Grand Canyon Village over the years.
There is a helpful pamphlet on the history of the CCC in the park, with a walking tour through the Grand Canyon Village highlighting CCC work.
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on September 7, 2019.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE