CCC company 818 camp on North Rim - Grand Canyon AZ
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was extremely active in Grand Canyon National Park from 1933 to 1942. There were six CCC camps on the North Rim, South Rim and in the canyon itself and seven companies active over the decade: #818, 819, 847, 2543, 2833, 3318 and 4814. Grand Canyon National Park received more development funds and labor from the Civilian Conservation Corps than any other location in Arizona.
CCC enrollees built many of the recreation facilities still in use today, such as paths, trails, roads, shelters, and campgrounds, along with basic infrastructure, such as telephone lines, electric lines, water pipes and sewer systems.
Notably, the CCC teams added a trans-canyon telephone line connecting the North and South rims in 1935 and extended telephone and electric lines east from Grand Canyon Village to Desert View.
Project originally submitted by Shaina Potts on January 2, 2013.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE