The Fulton Grammar School was completed in 1940 with a WPA grant, following the loss of the old grammar school by fire in April. The one story brick school was designed by architect J. B. Lawson. Containing 19 rooms, the school housed a library, music room, kindergarten, office, and a 550-seat auditorium. WPA provided funds between $48,008-$74,590. The school closed in 1999, was named a Mississippi Landmark in 2001 and received grant money in the amount of $168,000 from the Mississippi Arts Commission and $75,000 from the Community Heritage Preservation foundation for renovations. It is currently in used by the non-profit Family Resources Center.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, no. 057-FUL-0010.1-ML. Retrieved Dec. 29, 2019 from:
Fulton Grammar School was destroyed by fire in April 1980. (Greenwood Commonwealth, Apr 2, 1940, p. 1).
Baldwyn School gets US funds. (Feb 2, 1940). Delta Democrat-Times, p. 1.
FDR Okehs 9 WPA Projects. (Feb 17, 1940). Clarion-Ledger, p. 1.
Grants will build up arts communities. (Nov 1, 2001). Clarion-Ledger, p. 27, 29.
Grant money to reap big community returns. (Jan 4, 2002). Clarion-Ledger, p. 31.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 1, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE